Saturday 8 December 2007

Visit Europe's youngest panda bear at Vienna Zoo





Wondering where Europe’s youngest panda bear is currently hiding? The little fur ball is right now in his mother’s arms, but away from visitor’s sight at the Tiergarten Schonbrun Vienna Zoo. The panda cub was born in late August, but zookeepers want to keep both isolated for a while longer as the cub gathers strength. Visitors can see them both through a specially placed camera in the pandas’ private enclosure.
The Vienna Zoo, the world’s oldest animal menagerie, is set on the grounds of the beautiful Schonbrun Palace, summer residence of the Viennese empress Maria Theresa.
Even in the wintertime, visitors to the zoo get to see a wide variety of animals out in the open: from polar bears to seals and penguins to deer, buffaloes and rhinos. In the rainforest house there is a feeling of walking through the jungle and animals, such as bats and birds, can be seen up close. There is also a beautiful aquarium and terrarium and a desert house that recreates the arid conditions of this extreme habitat.
Ramiro Pares, 27, visiting the zoo for the first time said: “it has been a great experience. The setting is idyllic and I like that there’s history behind the place. Many animals were out and about, despite the cold.”
The Tiergarten Zoo is a short underground ride from Vienna city centre and is open all year round. For more information, head to http://www.zoovienna.at/e/index.html

Reflective report: I decided to take advantage of a weekend break to Vienna and looked up the local zoo. Through the Internet, I found the Tiergarten Schonbrun Vienna Zoo had been in the news quite recently due to the birth of Europe’s first panda bear and thought that it would make a good idea for the animal story set as our weekly assignment. I was also intrigued by the fact that the zoo is set in the gardens of the Schobrun Palace and is recognised as the world’s oldest zoo.
It was a cold and wet day, but I still enjoyed walking around the place. The setting is really beautiful, with old-style European buildings and many animals walking about despite the weather. I looked for the panda bear, but only found the place where they had the video showing the pandas in their private enclosure. I was somewhat disappointed and, consequently, changed the focus of my story to something more like a quick guide for visitors to the zoo. Upon revision, I was told to change the angle again, which I have done in this version. I took several pictures of the zoo and palace grounds to complement the story. I also spoke to a visitor to the zoo, who was glad to give me a few simple quotes for my article.
This article is a light-hearted piece that should read easily off the page and include an eye-catching design with the pictures provided.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh I love pandas and indeed visited them twice!
Here I bought a cuddly panda bag (L) that I can hardly put it down!
I believe it is a GREAT find for every panda fanatic!
hkpanda.freetzi.com
Flor
floreshayes@gmail.com